Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Christian Films That Shaped My Faith

I think we underestimate the power of a film in the christian faith. I don't think a lot of Christians understand the blessing you can receive from watching a cinematic feature that was guided by the hands of God. So, in case you haven't come across them, here are the top Christians films that helped to shape my understanding of how I should live as a Jesus loving woman of God. There won't be any spoilers so don't worry.

1. Letters To God











At the very least, I can say that this film sparked a water-work in me that felt almost therapeutic (everyone needs a good cry now and then), but at the very most, it forced me to turn a harsh mirror unto myself as I evaluated how I lived my faith alone and in front of others. It is about a young boy, who even at the young age of eight has a strong relationship with God. It was in this movie that I learned that my walk with Christ is my letter to some one who is not a believer. My letters should be filled with love, encouragement and most of all Jesus.

2. Facing The Giants


















This was another tear-jerker, but for a completely different reason. It was the desire to persevere that had me reaching for the tissue box. It centers around a coach who puts all his faith in God and brings that same faith to a high school football team. My favorite line from the movie is, "We will praise Him when we win, and we'll praise Him when we lose." That line became an ongoing phrase with them as they went at each game with new determination. It was in that line that I got a clear vision of how to praise God regardless of your situation. This is a key factor in Christianity because we will not always have happy days. It is crucial that we know that God is in the good moments as well as the bad.

3. Raising Izzy 









This little number was a random flick that I came across on Redbox. I'm not going to lie, part of my appeal was the cover. At the time,  I had never seen  anything in media that showed a black couple raising adopted kids of another race. We are always the one being adopted. But when I read through the summary, I knew I needed to watch it. This film teaches that God's will trumps over any of our wills and desires. They are things that might not make sense at the moment, but in time, we will begin to see why God decided to cover up our dreams with His power.

4. God's Not Dead



God's not dead. Need I say more? If there were ever a movie to pass out to your unbelieving relatives and friends, this would be the one. Recently, I've had a growing interest to study christian apologetics, and as that passion slowly began to dwindle this movie quickly snapped the light back on. As a young student tries to defend his beliefs in front of his seemingly angry, atheist professor, he gives a few logical explanations for the evidence of God that could work to shift (even if it's small) the doubts of an unbeliever.





<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12746725/?claim=zqw9ujv52tn">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>





Photo Credit
Image 1: https://www.facebook.com/LetterstoGodthemovie
Image 2http://www.amazon.com/Facing-Giants-Alex-Kendrick/dp/B000KLQUS0
Image 3: http://sonomachristianhome.com/2013/08/one-village-entertainment-releases-raising-izzie/
Image 4: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2528814/

No comments:

Post a Comment