Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Thirst For Community

My God is not dead, and when He speaks, He really speaks. It amazes me that even though I believe in His power and I know that He is real, I still become dumbfounded when I hear Him speaking to me. It's as if I know and understand in my mind that His power exist, but when it becomes obvious that His power is working right before my eyes I am speechless, and my awe of  Him  is strengthened in my heart. This is a flaw in my faith that I desperately need to address. It should not surprise me that God would answer a prayer, I should graciously expect that the answer will come in His time. God is still working on me.

For a while now, I have been desperate to create some form of community as I walk in my Christian faith. As an only child it is easy to drift away, or just naturally feel like a lone ranger when it comes to social cues. I've been living that life for a while, but I don't think my heart can take it anymore. I am a young Christian woman who is "thirsty" for community. And I have been getting the feeling that God strongly wants that for me too. After all, he was the one that said, "it is not good for man to be alone." I think He knew, even from the beginning, that this walk would not be one that we can do alone in the flesh. I think we often take that verse to mean that we are all suppose to have spouses. Adam was alone, and then God brought him Eve, and they had little Cains and Ables to run around their white stone fence. But maybe, just maybe, God could have also been saying that it is not good for my children to be alone in general. Maybe our 'not being alone' does not solely rest on who we are married to. I need Christian friends, and I don't mean associates, I need Christian community. I need people to love on my like a sister, as I will love on them like one (or brother). I need people to hold me accountable, to correct me when I'm wrong, and who will allow me to correct them if the moment calls for it. I need a community that will draw me deeper into Christ. 

I've been struggling with this for the past couple of years, and just a few days ago, I decided that I needed to do something about it. Now I don't believe in coincidences, so try your best to prove to me that this wasn't a God intervention.

Wednesday was the day that I decided that I needed to take the necessary steps to create a christian community within my church. There is a large age gap within my church. The presence of members who are between 18-30 years-old are practically nonexistent. But despite not having a lot, we still have them, and I needed to work with that. I decided that the best way to do it would be to kick it off with something fun...and cheap, so I created a Facebook event. 


They will probably think that I am the corniest bugger that ever lived, but that's ok, there is a method to this madness. 

For every event that you make on Facebook they ask that you include a description. So instead of just putting "just because" in the description I needed them to know why it was so important for me to put this invite out.

Before I posted this, I searched the internet for scriptures on christian community and I came across Hebrews 10 24-25 
"And let us be concerned about one another in order to promote love and good works, not staying away from our worship meetings, as some habitually do, but encouraging each other, and all the more as you see the day drawing near."

Shortly after making that event I searched the internet for any churches that might have had a ministry that catered to my needs. I don't want to leave my church, but I do think it's ok to branch out for food. As I was doing this I came across the ministry "Incite." Ran by the young adults of Cottonwood church. I knew that I needed to go. The timing for finding this ministry and when they had their meetings could not have been more perfect. So today, I mustered up the bravery I needed to attend a church full of young adults that I didn't know, and I'm so glad I did.

Not only was the praise and worship session a great experience, the message itself seemed to be just for me  me. The message for the night came from Hebrews 10: 24-25. Like I said, I don't believe in coincidences. 

I believe that this was God telling me that  my desire to be around other Christians who hunger and thirst for righteousness is a godly one. And it is a thirst that I will continue to go after with God's guidance.
   







No comments:

Post a Comment