Friday, August 15, 2014

I Can't Make Disciples


Francis Chan on Making Disciples 


I was watching this video the other day and I had an epiphany...


Am I the only one that gets freaked out by the demand, "go and make disciples" ? I mean, who am I to go out and grab 12 people in the middle of the day, from whatever they're doing and spread the gospel. The very idea of leading a pack like that scares the bajeebers out of me.
I hate when I convict myself with my own thoughts.
After writing that, I realized that I am afraid to make disciples because I do not feel as if I am...equipped....enough to even think about making disciples. Whew! It actually felt good to get that out. But it also makes me feel really, really sad. It's one thing to be insecure in your looks, talents and skills, but it is a completely different universe to be insecure in your Faith. I mean your faith is where your security in your looks,talents and abilities are strengthened. So what happens to those things when the foundation of your security is non existent? If you aren't a christian you probably have no idea what I'm talking about. Your're probably sitting there, reading this blog, furrowing your brow while firmly saying "the foundation of my security is in me, not a belief system."
Must be nice.
But for the rest of us Jesus Freaks, we know that the foundation of our security in whatever we are doing rest in Jesus, and once you know the truth, it's kind of hard to take in a lie.
I can't make disciples. At least, that's what Satan wants me to believe.
I am not well studied enough, I am not holy enough, I am not saved enough, to go out and preach the gospel to all who need to hear it. These sound like great reasons in my head to stay away from discipleship, but in all reality, the work of Jesus is too important to simply stay quiet until the time is right. Because as long as Satan is lurking the time will never be right.
I need to begin studying, now. I need to begin praying, now. I need to begin worshiping, now. And along the way, I ask that God give me the courage to ask others to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment